Safe Specimen Handling Procedure
General guidelines for the safety of you and others
- Coolers or puncture resistant container must be labeled with bio-hazzard sticker
- Use universal precaution and assume all specimens are infectious
- Always have spill kit available in your car
- Carry cooler or puncture resistant container into customer location (never transport specimen by hand)
- Clean transport carriers with a disinfectant at least once a week or whenever a specimen has leaked
- Always use gloves any time you come in direct contact with a specimen
- Wash hands with soap and water using or changing gloves and immediately hafter handling specimens
- Never pick up hazardous waste such as needles, tubes, etc
- Do not accept any leaky specimens from customers. Ask them to correct the problem
- Wash your hands before eating, drinking, smoking, or applying cosmetics (never eat or drink in a contaminated area)
- Report any injury or blood exposure while handling specimens
Handling Dry Ice
- Wear special gloves to avoid burns
- Wear glasses or protective goggles when breaking ice up
- Always carry in closed container
- Wash hands after removing gloves
Guidelines For Handling Spills
Spills must be handled in a proper manner. The following is a step by step instruction of how to handle a spill:
- In a client facility, clear the area and notify a responsible person.
- Wash hands immediately if they came in contact with the specimen.
- Open the spill kit.
- Put the gloves on.
- Soak up the spill with the absorbent material.
- Use the tools provided to put contaminated material in the plastic bag. Don’t contaminate the outside surface of the bag.
- Pour disinfectant over the contaminated area.
- Wipe the solution from the spill area with the absorbent towel.
- Carefully put the used cloth and disposable gloves in the plastic bag with other contaminated materials.
- Air dry.
- Dispose of the specimen in a biohazzard bag.
- Wash hands again.
- Report the incident to the company and customer ASAP.
- Deliver the kit, along with other specimens, to the person in charge.
- Replace the spill kit ASAP.